Looking for an authentic spanish dessert while in Barcelona? We explain you how to make a homemade Catalan Cream, the quintessential Catalan dessert.
All of our apartments have fully equipped kitchens so you can have fun preparing this sweet with your family and friends.
Check out our ultimate recipe!
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 2 cups (15 fl. oz) milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- The rind of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup (7 oz) superfine sugar
1. Clean the orange and lemon, and peel it very thin, only the most superficial part of the skin though, without reaching the white area.
2. Beat together the egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar in a bowl until the mixture turns creamy. Now add the cinnamon stick together with the lemon peel.
3. Mix the cornstarch with 4 tablespoons of the cold milk. When it’s well-mixed return it to the remaining 2 cups of milk and pour them all together with the before prepared egg/sugar/cinnamon mixture.
4. Cook slowly the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until it comes to the boil. Just until thickened, remove from the heat immediately or the mixture may separate!
5. Now pour the mixture into bowls and remove the cinnamon stick. Let it cool down a little bit and then refrigerate the cream for at least 4 hours, but ideally let them cool all night.
6. When it is going to be served, add one or two tablespoons of sugar to each serving. Normally a torch is used to caramelize the sugar and form its characteristic hard layer, but we have a secret technique…
7. Use a soup spoon, put its outer part in direct contact with a flame and slowly sprinkle it over the sugar. When it cools a little, clean it and repeat. The result is really impressive.
8. Dare to prepare this recipe as rich as it is simple in our apartments in Barcelona! It takes only 20 minutes of preparation and gives your vacation an unforgettable touch.
We hope you will enjoy this recipe, and that you have learnt how to make a homemade Catalan Cream. Alternatively, in case you don’t have the time or the will cook, our Reservation Department can recommend you the best place in Barcelona where to taste it. Contact us and follow us on our socials: